Tuesday 2 October 2007

tripod review (manfrotto 725b)

managed to get a 2nd hand manfrotto 725b (c/w integrated 484rc2 ball head) at a good price of S$90. condition of the tripod is very good and scratch-less. the reason for me to get this instead of the initial setup of 190prob and 486rc2 is because it is much cheaper and also lighter for me to carry during hiking (2.46kg vs. 1.54kg). 1kg means a lot, especially when i am going to carry it together with my camera, flash and 3 lenses for 5 hours each day during my up-coming hiking at chiangmai.

my first impression:
  • positive ~ manageable weight, smooth ball head, easy to deploy, clean look
  • negative ~ no independent panning base/lock
there are a few limitation on this tripod, (1) not suitable for panning if you are doing sports or moving object (2) no detachable column for odd angle shot (3) legs can open-up to 45 degree max (4) ball head is non-detachable, and (5) no additional hook for stability

for me, i don't do sports photography, or maybe not at this point of time so i can do without panning, (1). i took mostly landscape so i can live with (2) and (3). my current setup is well within the maximum weight this tripod can carry so (4) and (5) doesn't affect me much. all in all, this is the right tripod for me, at least for now.

11 december 2007, update: this tripod has served me well over the last 2 months. i am currently looking for another tripod for low angle shot so that i can include some foreground elements since i have expanded the scope of my landscape photography. i will still keep this light weight tripod in my arsenal for usage as and when i plan to travel light. it is simply a gem!

No comments: