Tuesday 18 September 2007

the beginning

the first touch with a slr
~ it was in the year of 1992 when i was the supposed co-photographer, helping out in the annually-held sports event for my school. i was being handed over with a manual slr from my friend with a bunch of film canisters, armed without any slr knowledge, i braced myself and went down the field for the whole day, trying to capture as many images as i could. the outcome as expected, none of the images was usable for publication in the school magazine. Sadly, the friend who lend me the slr has passed away a few years ago and it was a shocking news to me. rest in peace, my friend, richard ~

the second time when i pick-up a slr
~ in the 3rd year of my university studies, i have decided to pick-up photography for my elective course. i managed to get hold of my coursemate's slr for a field trip, and that was the second time when i handled a slr. i would like to thank Sash for being so helpful when i could not afford to get a slr of my own, i still hate you for your cheeky smile though ~

my very first slr, or was it not?
~ i was able to pay for short vacations to nearby places after i have gotten a job but slr remained something too luxurious for me to spend on. solution? i "borrowed" my brother's canon eos500n with 35-80mm kit lens for those trips and till today, the camera is still with me. I would considered it mine since he never bother to get it back from me ~

eos30
~ i bought this camera 3 years ago when the price of film camera has went down considerably due to introduction of digital slr. if i could remember correctly, my first purchase was eos30 with 50mm f/1.8 and ex430 at the price of S$500. this is follow by the lengendary 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 and 100-300mm usm at S$190 and S$210 respectively. i managed to travel to a few places with these gears and provia400 and velvia50 was my favourite films throughout the vacations ~

d40
~ i have been bombarded many times with the same question "why not digital?" when i bought my eos30. the answer is pretty simple, digital system was definitely out of my budget during those days. secondly, i like challenges. i like the feeling of "guessing" the correct exposure and the excitement when u finally got hold of it. Anyway, i have decided to move on to digital system (i still have the eos500n though), courtesy of nikon when they announced a very affordable entry level d40 and a superb deal i have gotten from the recent it show. S$1199 for d40, 18-55mm, 55-200mm vr with a bunch of freebies, i know there is no better time to get it than now. i must thank auntie lorna for her sponsorship too. i must show her more good photos to ensure her that was a worthy investment ~

next system?
~ it is too early to talk abou the next system. i always believe that it is the person behind the camera rather than the camera itself that makes a good photo, so what the heck, propably d40 could be my last since i am not a techie nor a rich man's son ~




disclaimer: all the comments/reviews are of the author's personal opinions

No comments: