Saturday 22 September 2007

chinatown lantern festival (the journey)

normally i prefer subject which is natural and am not so keen in architectural stuff. however, since my wife has strongly suggested that i should take the camera for a spin at chinatown, finally we went down during yesterday's chinatown lantern festival's launching event. it was a lazy saturday evening so i have decided not to bring my tripod but keep my iso at a constant 800. time to verify various reviewers' comment on how good is d40's high iso image.

i was quite disappointed with the event's "scale", a lot of spectactors, for a small parade with only a few huge electrical lanterns and lion/dragon dance. by the time i managed to find a good spot, the parade has just went passed me. damn, i missed my hometown! small place, yeah, but the parade is one of the most attractive i have been to.


i tweaked my system -0.7ev after reading-up ken's articles but later realized that all the photos were slightly underexposed and i have to use photoshop to bring up the brightness slightly. the discrepancy is most probably because ken plays his d40 like a pns camera in matrix metering mode but i am a spotter. i prefer to spot-meter a mid gray, tune my camera into manual exposure mode and start shooting. i shouldn't be tweaking any exposure compensation before hand, a lesson learned.

No comments: