Friday 28 September 2007

portraiture (the journey)

yesterday evening was a boring one, till my brother suggested to take portraiture shots of him. sounded like a good idea for a past time, i picked my my camera and started shooting at a few angles while he posed on the sofa. portraiture has been my worst field so it took like a good 30mins for me to find an angle, which at least, looks ok to me. then i wanted to try something that bring up the theme, contradiction, a sleeping man with the "men's health", perhaps?

first photo was taken using a reading light as the only modeling light, no flash was fired because i wanted the lighting to be uni-directional. there is much more to desire for a better backdrop and attire but it was just a casual shot for a trial on portraiture so i am not too bothered about it.

second photo was taken with flash at -3fev and warm white light located on the ceiling, from the right side of my brother. it looks pretty alright to me, except the blue spots on the cheek and blown highlights due to oily face, maybe it's time to get sb800 with colour gel to balance the flash and the ambient colour temperature.

what to improve in the next portraiture shoot, some light make-up to remove the oily reflection, better attire, planned backdrop and a reflector will be very helpful. SB800 can wait, since my cash reserve is running low.

the whole photography session, took about 1 hour to complete. damn, i'm weak in portraiture.

No comments: